Those brakes AGAIN

Guest jmn

I need some help. I have bled the brakes, replaced the fluid and the accumulater. Things seem to work fine except the anti-lock light seems to take longer to go out when I start the car. The light even came on when I was driving the other day. Of course the anti-lock brakes don't work until the light goes off. Sometimes I have to shut the car off and restart it several times to get the light to go out. I don't know if this is helping or if it is just coincidence. Is this a problem with some kind of sensor? i know we have been over this a number of times but could someone please help.

JMN...

Where did you find the accumulator? My dad has one of these cars and suddenly his brakes has lost the assist so it takes quite a bit of brake pedal force to stop the car.

Btw... is there any online source material thoroughly describing how the brake system operates?

I have an older Audi that utilizes a hydraulic assist brake system as well but the pressure accumulator is "charged/pressurized" via the power steering pump. In looking a the TC's accumulator there appears to be a cylindrical electric motor attached to the assembly; does that do the charging?

I'd greatly appreciate any info you can provide! Thanks!

Jonesy,

Could be a very major problem.. I send folks first to that website so they can get familiar with our very different brake system.

Your dad's problem MAY be very serious and hard: but not impossible to fix.

When complete brake assist is lost. That means that the pedal gets hard and the brakes really don't want to stop the car. That is caused by the pump not pumping enough pressure into the system.(about 2900 lbs) On the inside right fender panel, is a small black box about 4" long and 1 1/2" high & wide. The cover has a squeeze clip on both ends. inside are 3 relays and 2 fuses below this box they connect to some kinda heavy red wires. You could find a bad relay, bad fuse or burnt/corroded connections to these wires etc. All this stuff work the pump. If they are bad the pump will not work. If the problem is that the pump is not working, pray that it is something wrong here because the pump is alot of work and a lot of $$$.. Good Luck, Lou

Lou, thanks for the info!

One thing for which we're certain is that the pump is on, you can hear it and feel it vibrating. IIRC it's supposed to shutoff after 15-45 seconds, correct? Well, in our case it just seems to run continuously... btw, the ABS and brake warning lights stay on as well.

OK I didn't know the pump was running. Yes I understand those indications.. That makes me think that the pump is worn out. Again I ask, Has the brake system ever been flushed. If so, hasit been done periodically, or recently.

Our master Cylinders are not as other cars are. Ours are nothing more than valves, and along with that if the fluid has not been changed or flushed maybe there is a hung open valve not allowing pressure build up. Rebuilt pumps are available from http://www.tcparts.com/ but they are expensive and a real pain to install.. so, altho I'm not expecting any miracles, I would try small things that have to be done anyway before jumping to the big one. ~ ~ BUT ~ ~ I do think your pump is worn out. Replace both the pump and accumulator.

Lou,

No the system has not been flushed ever, well at least not while my dad has owned the car. (approx.10 years)

I don't know if it's relevant or just coincidental but the problem occurred on the drive home (a few blocks) after having new front brake pads installed. Personally I'd think not but now with your mentioning the non-standard master cylinder, I don't know...???

As for the pump, couldn't the accumulator be removed and a gauge installed to check pressure?

Thanks again, Lou! I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions!

Yes There was an extension nipple/tee made for that with a 1/4" pipe thread for pressure gauge installation. - - IMPORTANT - - Brakes should be flushed every 2-3 years. Use only DOT 3 type fluid. First thing I would do is bleed all brakes... FOLLOW PROCEDURE... Backs first. special procedure, fronts. normal procedure.. Bleeding each wheel till fluid runs clear = flush. Good Luck, Lou

Hello everybody, Back in July I needed help. look at post #520702. LouZ and TwinCamFan came to my rescue . If you have a brake problem (ie.) how to bleed or flush the ABS brakes on your TC their answers to me are the first thing you should read. In my case from NO BRAKES to BREAKS that WORK PERFECT. TOBRUK.