Hard starting 56 Special.

Guest mark wysatta

Guest mark wysatta

I have a 56 Buick Special with standard 322 ci engine. It will not fire up when it has sat for a day unless I spray carb cleaner into carbuerator and then sometimes I have to repeat this process several times before it starts up. It will start right up after initial starting, Though give it a day and you have to spray the carb cleaner back in carb to start. I have been told it was a fuel pump problem and also told it was a carbuerator problem. The butterfly choke isn't sticking so I've ruled that out. I have noticed the clear plastic in line fuel filter is dry before it starts even after punpimg accelerator pedal. If anyone knows what the problem is, I would sure appreciate your advice. Thanks Mark (BCOA Member)

Guest simplyconnected

Your carb float bowl should keep gasoline for more than a couple days, unless it is leaking out, or the accelerator pump is broken or missing the pump inlet ball. The accelerator pump does the same thing you are doing by squirting raw gas in the engine, when you pump the pedal. I would start by rebuilding the carb.

Carter1.jpg

Here's the accelerator pump circuit for the Carter carburetor I think your car has. You can either have your carb rebuilt, or you can buy the kit and do it yourself.

It's nice to have a clear fuel filter. It is usually situated between the pump and the carb. If it is always empty, you may be buying a new fuel pump in the near future. The fuel pump should not let gas backflow to the tank. Run your engine, and check to see if any air bubbles are entering the filter from the pump. If so, check your fuel line for loose connections or a tiny rust hole.

Once gas enters the carb, it can't be drawn back to the filter. The accelerator pump has nothing to do with your filter being empty. Hope this helps. - Dave

Guest Dean_H.

I suspect the accelerator pump leather has become dried and hard and doesn't work well. Since carb cleaner is pretty much non-combustible, it must be getting on the leather seal when you spray it in there and helps the pump get primed. Unfortunately carb cleaner would also dry out and shrink the leather seal, causing your difficulties to begin with.

Next time you start the car, try pumping the gas pedal a lot as the starter turns the motor. Maybe it'll pump enough gas to get started.

I've taken dried and shrunk accelerator pumps out and simply spread the leather seal out so it fits tight in the bore again and you are good to go for a while longer. Of course a carb rebuild would be best.

One last thing, replace that clear plastic fuel filter. They get hot in the engine compartment and become brittle. When they crack, the hot engine get's sprayed with gas. It's normal for the clear inline filters to have an air pocket. Put a metal one in.

Good luck,

Dean

Guest mark wysatta

Thanks Dave! Iappreciate you taking time to help me on this. It looks like alot of the parts on the carbuerator are new, but like you say if a ball valve or some small piece was omitted in the rebuild, it could cause the problem. I've only had the car a little over a year and after starting it runs great. I'll take your advice. Thanks again, Mark

Guest mark wysatta

Thanks Dave for taking the time to help me on this problem. Several pieces on the carbuerator look new so not having the car very long, I figured it was rebuilt. Of course if a ball valve or some small piece was omitted in the rebuild, it could cause the problem as you have suggested. I will take your advice and have the carb rebuilt. Thanks again for all your help and the great schematic of the Carter Carb. Sicerely, Mark

Guest simplyconnected

Mark, I want you to have the manual for this carburetor. Please look through it, and consider rebuilding it yourself. It isn't that technical, you don't need big tools, and rebuild kits are available for you. You need good light and a table to work at. If you are worried about losing parts, do it in a low box.

This manual has pictures, but it never hurts to take your own digital pictures as you go. This is comfortably a Saturday afternoon job. When you're done, you will know your carburetor intimately, and you will have a great feeling of satisfaction knowing it was done right. I seriously doubt anyone will do a better job than you.

RIGHT CLICK on this, and chose "Save Target As..." Put it in your own folder.

Follow this instruction and the PDF file will be in the folder you want, on your hard drive. (Comcast/McAfee constantly checks for any virus, so it's ok.) If the download looks like it is 'stuck', CANCEL the operation and do it again. This download should only take less than a minute. You probably already have Adobe Reader, but if you don't, you can get it free at adobe.com.

You may print any and all pages as many times as you wish.

Glad to help a fellow restorer. - Dave Dare

Guest mark wysatta

Thanks again, Dave. I will make a copy of the carb manual and study it to see if my mechanical aptittude is up for the challenge. It's a good feeling to know we are all in this thing together. Thanks again, Mark ( BCOA member #44074).