Does this VIN make sense?

Guest 31Graham

Guest 31Graham

Inside the car are two tags (1) Color Combination 31 6 and Body Number 342 2491. On the side of the engine is atag that I hope is the VIN - it reads 1523770 (its lightly stamped or weathered). Is there any one out there who knows if this is the VIN? What about the other two numbers, what do they mean?

Guest aussie610

VIN Numbers didnt exist in the 20's I believe, from memory didn't come in until 40's-50's (Could be wrong on the timing though)

The tag on the side of the engine, I am guessing is under the water pump? If so that is the engine number. (If I remember, will look it up for you) The other two tags are body related, one tells you what colours the car was painted (Would have to look that up when I get home as well) the other is your body number. (in the period bodies and chassis were manufactured at different times, and sometimes by different companies, so had different numbers)

Guest aussie610

Just has a look at "Kellers", and that engine number is a little odd (Or the book is wrong)The special six engines were lower numbered (around the 1,200,000 Mark) The 1,520,000 numbers were 1932 first series prosperity six and second series model 56 *Though there seems to be a gap between the two series and yours falls into this gap.....

Dont seem to have any info on body colors for '31. Will keep looking though, you nevery know

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Bill-W

What we call VIN today was the serial number back then. And serial numbers date back before WWI, although many makes used the engine number to ID the car - Ford did through to 1948 in the U.S.

The engine number, 1523770, falls into the first-series 1932 Prosperity Six, model 53, sequence, 1521101 to 1528000. Serial numbers were 1516001 to 1523162. The serial number was stamped on a plate attached to the floor in the right rear compartment on 4-door models and passenger side front floor on 2-door models.

The body number, 342 2491, undoubtedy means model "342" with "2491" being the sequential production number for body style "342". Do not know what model "342" is (although I suspect "3" is from the model number "53") nor what #1 was - 1, 101, or 1001.

Do not have Graham color lists for 1930 through 1933 models.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest 31Graham

Wow! Thanks for the great information. I'm hoping the color code means Black exterior paint with Gold or Ivory interior. Maybe somebody will be able to decipher the Color Combination code for me. Thanks again Bill.