1931 Graham Body Number Locations

Guest 31Graham

Guest 31Graham

I recently acquired a 1931 Graham Special Six from an old friend of mine after he passed. I have looked for the body number information and have not been successful in locating the number I need to get the car titled. Can anyone out there help me with this information? Thanks.

Guest aussie610

Body or Chassis No. Body numbers (If they are still there) were attached to a plate nailed to the floor, inside the back door (Well in this country anyhow) so most of the time they dont exist anymore. If it is the chassis number you are aftet it will be stamped into the cross member under the radiator (Who had that dumb idea shocked.gif ) so again probably doesn't exist anymore.....

Usual solution in this country, make up a number that fits into the numbering system at the time and get them to proove it is wrong whistle.gifwink.gif

Guest aussie610

Got a really nice start there. Looks good and solid. From the pics, the panels look straight and rust free (Bet there is some in the bottom corners of the rear tub).

How is the woodwork?

Guest aussie610

The little trigger is a lockout for first gear. You should have the high speed diff in the rear. So without using first it is a little slow to take off from a standing start (It has the torque though)

The four speed 2nd, 3rd and 4th are similar to the 3 speed 1st, 2nd and 3rd. the difference between the two was the four speed cars had a much higher diff ratio so the fitted a lower 1st so it would take off.

With the four speed. Dismantle and check very carefully. They had a "Glass" first gear. They often lost a tooth, and the box doesn't have much room for the tooth to drop to the bottom. So what usually happens is the chipped tooth gets caught by of the other shafts and exits the box with a large velocity. this is what has destroyed a number of four speeds and why they are hard to find. There are notes in the service bulletins about it (The factory even offered three speed conversions, bad move). On the plus side the 4 speed should give you and easy 80MPH

Guest aussie610

Remember they were built to be used. Our 28 often cruses the highway (For tours) at about 55. Its a Graham, it wont like going slow for too long smile.gif

As for floors, we cheat and fit marine ply and paint it with bitumen paint (Dont have to worry about it ever again then).

POR 15 sounds good, never used it, but heard good things. We tend to sand blast and paint with standard chassis black, but we are lazy.

As for photos, have a look at the current project section (I goota update that page) on my website (http://au.geocities.com/graham_paige610/)