dual carb problem

Guest rusty1951

Guest rusty1951

On the rear carb of a 42 248 dual carb set up, there is a damper valve assy. that sits under the rear carb. It has a large off set weight that opens and closes the flies. How loose is this supppose to be? Once the damper opens, it stays open until I rotate it closed. THis makes for hard starting since it is always open. I believe that it should close as soon as engine vaccum drops down, is this correct?

Hi Rusty1951,

The rear carburetor on the 1941-42 Buicks is only operational on high demand for power. Thus, the weighted damper should remain closed during starting and at low rpm. Try some WD-40 on the damper shaft. If that fails, you will have to take the carburetor apart to check for interferences that may cause the damper to stick open. The damper should open and close freely when moved manually when the engine is not running.

Grandpa

Guest rusty1951

it turns out that the flies are rubbing on the sides of the damper. I tried to remove the flies and broke the head off the little screw. I got it out with a vise-grip but do you know where any place would sell carb type screws?