I did it! Cut safety glass for side window-'56 olds

Guest imported_pete324rock

Guest imported_pete324rock

Okay,first things first.Glass needs respect.If you leave it laying around,it will break on its own.I found this out by leaving my pattern(the old glass)lying on what I thought was a flat surface in the sun for a couple days(probably didn't help)and came back to it to find one side of the laminate had cracked.There was no going back now. Glass should be stored standing up or supported in some fashion.

I would suggest getting a crap piece of glass from a glass shop to practice with.I didn't do this but I cut a small corner off mine to see what kind of challange I was facing.

This is only about flat safety glass but perhaps can be used for other types.You will have to discover on your own.I bought a new glass cutter.The type with a steel wheel.They say on the directions to oil the wheel when you use it.I used a spray varsol,not sure if it helped or not.I think thicker oils would make it slippery.You will need a good work table.It should be super flat.I used an old solid wooden door on a work table.

you should also watch out for dirt under the glass.It will scratch it easily and make you angry,especially when you slide the glass as you cut.Glass chips fall into this category and are hard to see.

I used masking tape as a guide but found that I could do a decent job following the line by looking at the cut on the other side.For success,you must try to make exact cuts with each other on both sides of the glass.A little deviation is ok but produces a crappy job.My glass is in a frame so I didn't care as much.If you have an exposed edge,you will have to belt sand it and leave a little extra to allow for this.Or take it to a glass shop,they might charge you 5 bucks maybe,I donno.

When they say that you hear a zipper zipping sound as you cut glass,they are right.Use as much downward pressure as you can muster,don't retrace your steps and don't leave bare spots.For corners the only thing I can say is that you cut as many straight runs as you can to zero in on the work so that you can eventually take out pieces around the curve using pliers.Oh yeah,you will need a good set of pliers,the duckbilled type.Vicegrips are kinda coarse for this.I used very good regular pliers.

Large pieces of glass are easier removed by putting the cut edge just over the straight edge of a table,having the glass clamped to the table and then working it up and down.You will see the change in color as the break occurs.Be patient.As you may have heard,the laminate plastic in the middle will have to be cut.Be gentle with this because if you pull on it,it will leave a bubble under the glass and if it isn't covered by the frame,you will have to start over.Who wants that?

I tried using alcohol like I was told but couldn't get it to light.I also tried varsol-no go.If you are outside doing this like I was,gasoline may be helpful.It sure doesn't have problem to light.A squirt bottle would have been better but the idea is to put it along the crack,light on fire and to work the glass to get more movement.I then used a box cutter knife to cut it as the crack opens up.I also used a propane torch very lightly but I suspect that heat is the enemy of glass and this is playing with danger so I quit.Maybe someone else has experience here.

Getting back to curves,use common sense.Try to take out the easiest glass first to get started.I cut reliefs as I thought they would help but the glass had its own idea.Nip away with the pliers,take out chunks and most important,cut away totally whatever is loose.Don't try to get farther ahead since you are trying to remove support along the way.

Not much more I can think of.Great way to save money but it really is time consuming.If you've got lots of bucks,you won't care about this.I was considering using a dremel tool with a diamond wheel,thought about sandblasting,wished I had a water-jet..etc but I am totally happy I did it this way and could cut any glass now I'm sure.I even have enough from my 30 dollar piece to cut new vent windows for my olds.The only sad part is that they won't have the EZ EYE logo.Does anyone know it they make a decal for this?

Good luck pete

sorry I don't have pictures but you should have the idea without them

Also go to this link where this topic is discussed more fully:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/537638/I_did_it_Cut_safety_glass_for_#Post537638