Hood Removal Question - '40 Century

allcars

Need to remove the radiator from our '40 Century Series 60 this week for repair. Can anyone answer a couple of questions about removing the hood that are not clearly addressed in the shop manual?

...Do I need to get under the dash to loosen the end piece on the body cowl that the center hood hinge fits into? Or does the hinge just slide out once I have it loose at the front?

...It looks like I need to detach the underhood cowling above the radiator and then lift it off with the hood still attached to it...correct?

Thanks for any tips and answers!

Guest edalfa

My answers are based on my 40 Special but I suspect they will be the same for the Century.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allcars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-style: italic">...Do I need to get under the dash to loosen the end piece on the body cowl that the center hood hinge fits into? Or does the hinge just slide out once I have it loose at the front?</span>

You need to remove the nut form under the dash. The hinge will then lift up.

<span style="font-style: italic">...It looks like I need to detach the underhood cowling above the radiator and then lift it off with the hood still attached to it...correct?</span>

No. If you notice, there are two bolts pependicular to the hinge at the rearmost edge of the radiator cowling. You need to remove these. Closer to the front there are two screws that pass through tabs on the hinge (on the driver's side) and attach to the cowling. With all of these removed, you can now lift off the hood.

</div></div>

Ed