Questions about 1930 Oldsmobile project

JerDanCo

I'm looking into purchasing a 1930 Oldsmobile project vehicle. I am unable to decode the VIN of F226435. The current owner says it's a 4 door, 6 cylinder, with a spare tire in each fender well and wire wheels. Can someone help me decode the VIN? Where on the body is the VIN tag? (I got the VIN off of the title.) Also, if I purchase this project, would it be difficult to find parts for it?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Not much to decode with the vin. F means it was a 6 (all '30 Oldses were 6s) 226435 is the sequence number. This is actually the engine number, which was also used as the serial number. Engine numbers started at F200001 in '30 and ended at F252106, so this one is about mid-production. "Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile" says that the engine/serial number should be on the right hand body sill, under the front mat.

Wire wheels and dual sidemounts indicates Deluxe equipment, which also included front and rear bumpers, folding trunk rack and chrome plated headlight shells. Standard models had wood wheels with no spare (rear mounted spare optional). Specials had wood, dual sidemounted wheels.

Deluxe sedan production was 2,973, acoording to "The Cars of Oldsmobile." There was also a Patrician sedan available that year. Patrician sedans had special interior hardware (that's kinda vague), broadcloth upholstery (non-Patricians had mohair), Pullman-type interior quarter lamps, arm rests and mahogany finished garnish moldings.

Naturally, parts for a car approaching 80 years of age aren't just falling off the shelves. But there is a dedicated group of enthusiasts in the National Antique Oldsmobile Club who I know would be more than willing to help you.

How much of a project is this thing?

Paul

Paul:

Wow. Thank you! I had no idea I could get that much information! It appears to be quite a project, but I'm definitely up for the challenge. I think it will be a very classy car once it is restored. If you can give me an email address, I will send you the pictures I have so far. For the price, I can't pass it up, so I plan to go get it this coming weekend. I will definitely need help putting it back together. Is there a good literature book that I could purchase that would help me? (This is my first Olds project.) I look forward to working with you and others in the group to bring this beauty back to its original elegance.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...