Is a late 1928 President really a 1929?

Guest dalestern

Guest dalestern

I see all kinds of parts (books,mechanical, body, ect.) for sale for '29 presidents and up, but little for my late model 1928 FB with the 337 cubic inch 8 cyl. engine. Is that a mistake and these parts are in fact interchangeable?

Thanks, DS

The FB is considered to be a 1928 1/2 model. The 1929 model Presidents (and 1930) were designated as FE and FH models (2 different wheelbases). Yes, some parts are interchangeable, but many are not. I do know that there is a seperate parts book for the Studebaker FA and FB models.

Reprints are available from Faxon auto literature and can be found on their website:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Joel

Guest dalestern

OK, so does that mean that at least the drivetrain is the same for '28 1/2, and '29? They seem to have the same specs. DS

Guest stude8

There are numerous driveline variations between FA/FB and FE/FH Presidents. The cylinder blocks are similar but the manifolds and carburetors vary year to year.

The transmissions have internal differences like the main shaft on early cars has 4 splines and later have 6 splines so even though the tooth count on gears may be the same they are not interchangable.

Early cars the parking brake is a band brake on the drive shaft but later cars have a parking brake linkage that acts on the rear service brake shoes.

Distributors changed several times from single coil to dual coil systems.

Brake drums and wheels changed bolt pattern, stud count, spoke count, hub cap size, snap ring retention types etc.

I once made a list of running production changes for FE/FH models and there were about 25 changes in the 1929-30 years coded by starting and ending serial number ranges. The parts catalogs have margins full of cars before and cars after such and such serial numbers.

Stude8