upper stoplight

Buz

A month ago you helped me with a fusible link problem. I repaired that, thank you.

Today I noticed my upper stop warning light over the trunk is not operating. Do I check and replace the bulb through the trunk?

Thank you, Buzz

Guest My TC Toy

Buz,

The first thing to do is check power to the light. You can do that by accessing the wiring in the top storage compartment. If you have power there you will have to remove the upper light assembly by removing the screws below the light and above the tonneau gasket. There are usually two problems- one is the rivet that holds the wiring on to the two common bars, the connections should be cleaned well and soldered. The second source of problems is the bulb contacts themselves- remove the bulbs, check for operation, and clean all contacts on the two strips. A little bit of dielectric compound will help. Reinstall the bulbs and all should be OK. Good luck

Hey Buz,

Using a small blade screwdriver between the chrome housing and the red lens. CAREFULLY pry off the lens. There will be about 8 bulbs in there all in a row. These bulbs use a thin wire as a conductor, check for contact There is a single wire for ground this wire is riveted on to the housing that contact sometimes comes loose loosing ground. I have had good luck soldering that connection. Good luck, Lou

Guest jerryjbennett

Now about another stop light problem...The light bar across the rear deck lid. Is it supposed to light up with the use of the brake peddle? I see wiring going into the driver's side deck lid hinge. Any suggestions on how to test it?

Guest StudeDude 01

Jerry----the light bar on the deck lid is just a reflector----no lights of any kind there on a stock TC. The wiring you see is for the remote trunk release.

Guest jerryjbennett

Thanks for the info. I hate to have tried to separate the reflector and then not find a light bulb. This car had been stored under a cover for years prior to my attention and the brake light bulbs were in need of a little sand paper.

Works fine now.