cruise

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

If 88 or 89 you might duplicate the bump results by jarring up and down on handle of the switch. If you can cause it to have problems, you have the small wires inside corroded at solder joints or breaking/broken.

changed the vacuum lines on the cruise control to get rid of intermittant cruise failure. "seemed" to fix the problem for a while -- cruise actually does hold better than it did prior to line transplant. now, cruise cuts out at bumps in the road...it is easilly resettable but will disengage at next bump (I noticed this when it went over slightly heaved expansion joints not for little bumps). Did I miss a line leak? or is something else going on?? Car shows 141,000 miles and maintenance prior to my ownership at 136,000 is unknown.<P>Thanks

Guest EDBS0

One year I put my 89 away for the winter with cruise working and in the spring it was dead upon removal from storage. Turned out that there are several "needle" valves that open an close to regulate the speed by either increasing or releasing vacuum. Took the unit apart cleaned with 400 sand paper that was blunted on itself, reassembled and worked fine for the next couple of years. Could fix your problem?

Guest kennyw

Had the same cutting off problem. Ended up being the switch. It just would not stay [on]. Of corse you have to replace the whole light, cruise, hazards, assembly. The switch can be taken apart and cleaned,,,but it is a chore and was never intended to be done....After that the cruise control module went out. Just got one from the bone yard and cruise now works again. Module is the same on most G.M. cars of that era......<BR> ken