Premium Sound Upgrade

Butch_Cassidy

Ive been searching the forum about upgrading the sound system with keeping the touch screen control. I know daniel is the expert on this subject. Whats the best setup to upgrade to( what model radio box, easy install after market speakers, amp?)? I have no experience with audio systems so this is all new ground. Where is the radio brain in the reatta and how do i get to it. The kind of sound im looking for is premium loud sound. I dont care if i lose eq, dont use it anyways. And i dont think im going to add a sub.

Guest F14CRAZY

Yup, he's the expert. The radio module for the '88-89 is in the center console in the region under the cigar lighter.

For a start, install some good, quality aftermarket speakers. '88-89's have 5.25 fronts and 6.5'' rears. Another potential upgrade is to get some '90-91 coupe rear speaker mounts because they had 6x9s which offer considerably better bass.

From what I've been following, swapping in a module from a GM pickup, say a '92, will improve sound quality quite a bit and they're only a few bucks from your favorite junkyard

If you are planning on adding subs I would stick with the 6" in the rear. A 6x9 has its place and that is not in high end sound, unless you want to spen $250+ for one set of 6x9's. I would get into it more but I am a bit short of time.

OK As Phil said the brain is in the center console right by the driver seat. (there is a thread on spesifics of getting to it)

Now for a high end sound you with out adding a seperate volume control you will need to get one or two high end powerful amps that are well over the wattage rating of the mid/high combo you are looking to use. The reason for this oversizing is that no matter what factory brain/amp you use you will have some sort of bass roll off. The best radio brain I have found for a good soilid sound system is out of a 96' +/- Eldarado with the Bose system, found mounted to rear sear. Key things you gain while using this brain are: Factory low level out puts that can run straight to aftermarket amps with spicing RCA/phono cables and no need to convert the signal (saves a bit of cash), less bass roll off than other units. Now the down side, you lose your balance control, but you still have fad front to back.

I would take a trip to a junk yard, to grab the caddy radio and while you are there make sure you get the wire harnesses that connect to the brain. This wil enable you to add aux inputs and leave the Reatta harness intact.

One last thing to keep in mind. The amplifiers you choose are what will make or break your system. If you are looking for high end sound do not skimp on the amps. If you must spend less on the other areas of the system.

As far as good high end amps here are a few Alpine,if you get there high end, JL, Memphis, MTX, highend JBL, Kicker high end, and Rockford high end (but they are over priced). Also I would stay away from sony expliod, pioneer, kenwood, low end rockford, lightning audio, powerakoustic, most any low end walmart specials, and best buy "good deals".

If I can help in any way let me know.

Guest EDBSO

I put Phoenix Gold 6 X 9 speakers in my doors.

Huge improvement!!

A <span style="font-style: italic">bit</span> of dermel work was required smirk.gif

OK short and sexy explaination of why 6x9's are not a good choice when building a high end sound system. When a lot of power is applied to the speaker the outside/longer-side of a oval speaker moves slower (or lags) than a the inner. This causes distortion at lower levels than a round speaker.

Although I do agree that they do provide better more robust sound at lower power systems, or when tring to get better sound out of a OEM or internal amped deck.

Thanks everyone for the info. I think a premium system might be out of my budget to be done right. I'm on a budget of 300 dollars. What do you think i should upgrade for that amount of money. should i buy a amp or no. Again i don't want a sub. I am going to at least switch out the radio box like daniel suggested. Any input is appreciated.

Only switch the box if you are going to get an amp. I would first upgrade to an 4 chanel amp. You can get a good deal for a V12 alpine or old MTX on Ebay. Either one would suffice. Next I would find some good components for the rear and for the front. The new Infinity referance sound good and come in 2 ohm, so you can squeeze all the power out of your amp and not risk blowing it. Next I would go with a single 10" or 12" in the trunk (facing the rear gives a 3db gain without doing anything else)

I would try for one of these, the wattage may sound a bit low, but the wattage rating is well under what they really put out. #1 230247862063 #2 280224015928 (ebay numbers)

I ahve used both these amps in the past and either one would be well worth $150 used, but you should be able to get either one at $100, and still have money to buy new Infinitie reference from many differnt audio shops/stores.

I

Thanks danielle. I think im going to bid on that mtx amp hopefully i will get it for around 80. i was concerned about the outputs because it says 4 ohm 35 watts and 2 ohm 70. will that be enough to power my speakers. Also it said the thd was .03% isn't that kind of high. For the speakers i am kind of confused with the wattages. If you could post some recommendations on what speakers you would get within my budget for maximum results on this amp would help. I was looking at these infinity reference speakers on amazon.com

Infinity Reference 6020cs 6-1/2" component speaker system For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQE...TAPS1VDWYPPP01K

Infinity Reference 5022i 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference...10283423&sr=1-6

what do you think

I would go with components. The infinities are a good speaker.

If I were you I would go with 6.5" all the way around. It will improve your stage a bit, but yo would have to trim the front mounts just a little.

For you being on a budget I would go with two sets of these. I have used these and they are great speakers.

front and rear(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19204)

If you do not want to trim the front I would go with these.

I have not used this modle, but I have never been let down buy any MBquart speaker I have used

Front (http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=FSA213)

Rear (http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=FSA216)