Frame and frame #

Guest Brian Scott

Guest Brian Scott

Here is the frame and the frame number. I hope this helps figure out what this car is. I think its a 28 standard 6 please tell me if I am right.

J-46268

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img2.putfile.com/thumb/2/5919202661.jpg' alt='5919202661.jpg'>

Guest imported_Bill-W

The first 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six was S/N J-42687. built 1st July 1928.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 1 month later...

Bill- perhaps a typo on the J-42697??, since the above postings say their frame is a 1928 with Number J-46268. Can John perhaps straighten this out? I am especially curious since my Standard 6 is titled as a 1928 and has frame Number J-47069. Thanks for the help.

Duane

Guest imported_Bill-W

No, the J-42697 is correct.

Back in those days Chrysler Corporation had two model years - the engineering and the sales/marketing people.

The sales/marketing people had the model year start on July 1st. The used car guides of the era listed the sales/marketing serial number changes.

The engineering department worked on the belief that the model year followed the calendar year. Thus if you check the parts/service books, you will find the Standard Six as strictly a 1928 model.

And to compound matters, some areas registered the model year as the year the car was first purchased. Thus although J-47069 is above the sales/marketing 1929 number of J-42697, it was built in calendar year 1928 and was listed in references by Chrysler engineering as a 1928 model. And thus was originally registered as a 1928 model.

Same with serial number J-46268.

It was not until the 1933 model year that Chrysler stopped the dual year situation. Studebaker, Pierce-Arrow, Pontiac Hupp, and Graham all had the dual model year situation in the late 1920`s and early 1930`s.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Bill - I feel better now about the 1928 registration for my Standard 6. Especially since I have been able to find a suitably rusty pair of 1928 CA license plates that are clearing the DMV for the car and match its patina perfectly. It would have been a shame not to be able to use them on this barn find survivor.

I am reluctantly beginning to advertise the DB for sale, since I have too many projects. It runs smoothly and drives well, stops well too, and the original leather interior is in decent shape. Headliner needs replacement. Wooden artillery wheels are excellent. With only 21,500 miles and no body rot, someone should have a lot of fun with it. Am asking $9000. Duane