Question regarding 1940 Chrysler Royal coupe

My uncle has a 1940 Chrysler Royal 5 window coupe that he is just in the begining stage of restoring. He would like to know if a decklid from a Dodge or Plymouth of the same year is interchangable with the Chrysler. Thanks in advance. Kevin e-mail: kwhmopar@yahoo.com

Hi! I own a 41 chrysler royal. I think the parts you mention are interchangeable. I have found that many dodge. chyrsler, and desoto parts interchange nicely. One thing... Good luck finding dash plastic, I've been searching all around the world and have yet to find any! Good Luck!<BR>Rick

Wow, after seeing those picks, I dont feel so bad about my rather ugly dash plastic! Any luck finding parts so far?<P>Rick

kwhmopar & Rick ~ According to my Hollander Interchange Manual the deck lid from a DeSoto WILL interchange with the Chrysler, but the ones from a Dodge and Plymouth will not. ~ hvs<p>[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Just basic wear items. A few parts are even still in the NAPA catalogs. Trim pieces, ehh, haven't found much. frown.gif" border="0<P>If I had a good pattern, I could probably commission a set of reproductions. But where am I gonna find a good pattern?<P>Bry

From what I hear, chrysler won't let you reproduce the dash plastic without giving them royalties from the sale of the made parts. I spoke to a fella in NJ that was willing to make them, and this is what he told me. I went to Chryslers at Carlisle and found NO parts for my 41. As a matter of fact, inless you own a roadrunner or Cuda I wouldnt reccomend going there. The only pre fifties car there was a 38 plymouth street rod. Very disappointed!<P>Rick rolleyes.gif" border="0

Good question. I guess due to the use of the chrysler name, I dont really have any idea! However... Seeing other folks enjoying royals as much as I am gave me an idea! It seems there is very little information on these cars available on the net. Parts especially trim is almost non- existant. It may be a good idea to start a royal web ring in order to tell others about these neat old cars. Perhaps a Royal owners group or something. We could include royals and windsors in the club. Sorta the ugly step children of the Chrysler family hehehe. Whenever we find new info, we could post it to members of the ring. I'm computer illiterate, so someone please take this idea and run with it! Pictures would be great also! The only ones Ive seen are of Trumans Royal cpe at the Truman web site. What do you folks think?<P>Rick grin.gif" border="0