Peugeot 161 Quadrilette

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

Are there any Peugeot Type 161 Quadrilettes in the USA? These were made in 1921-22, I believe. I have one coming soon which I hope to drive and do return to a more original appearance. I see photos of a Quadrilette at the Frick collection in Pittsburgh, but it's not listed in their inventory.

Phil Jamison

PA <a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e1b875a177.jpg' alt='e1b875a177.jpg'>

• 4 weeks later...
Guest VeloMan

I was lucky enough this year to find a 1921 Peugeot Type 161 Quadrilette, the same model as photo above. It's now sitting in Le Havre waiting for someone to drive it onto the USA-bound ship. I hope they can figure out how to get it started! I also hope it arrives in one piece. These are interesting cars: no differential, little 4-cyl engine designed for economy. Gas was expensive in France even in 1921 (still is). Road taxes were also high, and drivers were charged according to the size of their engines. Electric headlamps were a more expensive option over acetyline. Also, the cloth top and spare tire were options! Working people drove the smallest thing they could to save on the tax. An interesting hint in the owner's manual: "fill gas tank through a fine sieve to filter out impurities".

Phil Jamison

PA

• 1 month later...
Guest VeloMan

I finally got the Quadrilette today. It arrived at the Port of Baltimore in a huge auto transport ("RO/RO") ship. I found it sitting outside in a vast parking lot with no one there to help me load it. I wouldn't recommend this type of transport for a high-dollar open car! Luckily, I was able to winch it up into my trailer where it fit with about 1/4" to spare. I also got a pile of rear axle and engine parts, should anyone need them! I'd appreciate any leads on other Quadrilettes (Type 161 or 172) in the U.S.A.

Phil Jamison

PA