1940-41 Factory Installed Options

Guest Iowegan

Guest Iowegan

The October issue of the Buick Bugle has a cars for sale ad on page 61 describing a 1940 Buick Special with "very rare factory installed optional 'sunshine turret top' sunroof". Does anyone know if this is, in actuality, a factory option? If so, was it also available in 1941 on the Super 4 door. I am planning on restoring a 41 Super soon and think it would be great to put one in.

Thanks for any info, Tom

This option, called the SUNSHINE TURRET TOP, was an option in '39 and '40, but not '41. It was only available on the Special and Century 2 and 4 door models. Supposedly, only about 225 of the '39s were built, but, no one seems to have any firm numbers of production. Dave Corbin will probably come on here saying that he saw a big car with one, but, was probably a special order for Royalty. I have owned a Special 4 door, which is probably being street rodded as we speak, and currently have a Century dual side mounted car and a non side mounted parts car , both with the Sunshine Turret Top. I know of one '40 parts car, but, the lid is missing, as is my parts car lid. And I have heard of a '39 parts car in Ohio, but, again, the lid is missing. The mechanism is rather intricate, has lots of small pieces involved in making it work. If you can find a lid, and a lot of the small pieces, I will furnish the "HOLE". Paul