1965 Riviera Ignition system

Guest Mohogs

Hey guys,

Was contemplating changing my old distributor which i changed over to an electric Petronix system about 5 years ago to a MSD distributor specifically designed for the nailhead. The vehicle eats fuel like no tomorrow and I want to make the car run more efficient and get everything out of it that I can. Does anybody know if this would be a good idea, or any other ideas to improve efficiency.

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

I think that these cars are going to guzzle gas no matter what improvements are made including replacing the distributor. You must remember that these were sold during a time when gas was cheap and nobody really cared about conserving it. So with that in mind I'd look at other things like tire pressure (too low and gas mileage suffers), free flow air filter, and driving habits. The only thing I'd do to the ignition system is clean and gap the plugs and make sure that the car is timed properly. If this is your daily driver, my best advice is to find something else and quickly because gas is about to get really expensive.

Also go to V8Buick.com and see what comes up. They have a section devoted to the Nailhead and all Buick V-8's in general.