Differences in 1965 Olds radios

Guest connl

I'm trying to determine if I can use a Cutlass or other model radio for my 1965 Dynamic 88. What are the differences in the radio styles? The rectangular area that fits through the dash on my Dynamic 88 measures 4 X 2. The knob centers are 6 1/4 inches. Can I use a non-Dynamic 88 radio? Also, I'm trying to find out what a multiplex lead is. I haven't removed my radio so I don't know the specifics of what I need. Thanks. Larry (again!)

Oldsmobile offered three radios in the full sized cars in '65 - the standard pushbutton "Deluxe" AM radio, the signal seeking "Super Deluxe" (Wonderbar) AM radio, and an AM/FM radio. Bi-Phonic rear speaker control was an option on all three. There was also an optional reverberator that added a concert hall echo effect. Stereo (multiplex) was not available until '67.

I do not believe a Cutlass or F-85 radio will fit, but I do believe a radio from a '66 full size car will interchange - they had the same offerings. Not only do you need to be concerned with faceplate opening size and shaft width, but you also need to be concerned with the dimensions of the radio case itself and placement of such items as heat sinks, antenna jacks and power connections.

Paul

Thanks, Glenn also stated a 66 full size will interchange. I have a reverb unit in mine. Just trying to find an AM/FM model that will work in a 65 Dynamic. Good info.