Help on final assembly of 24 Dodge Brothers needed, not 23

Guest lmccoll

Guest lmccoll

Hello,

My dad and I have restored antique cars as a hobby for over 35 years. He has a 23 Dodge Brothers touring that is 95% finished, but due to a decline in his recent health, he is not able to completely finish it, so I am helping him.

I have a few misc questions. The chassis is completed, paint is complete and it just needs some minor assembly. Here are my questions:

Where the convertible top mounts to the back of the car, there are several holes in the top of the body where some fasteners screw through holes in the top and into the body. Is there supposed to be wood inside the metal body to hold the screws? Some of the screws appear to almost tighten in the metal, but some would be loose. My dad thinks when he took the car apart, there was a wood piece inside the steel body for the screws. Is there supposed to be a wood piece or not and if so, is it a bunch to small pieces just for each screw or is it one big piece? He may have this piece or piece stored somewhere if I knew what to look for.

The floor boards have been covered with some type of thick mat, I think dad said it is called ship decking or something. There are actually 4 pieces that make up the front floor board and one large piece for the rear. 3 of the front floor boards have aluminum trim around them. The flat piece in the front and the one flat floor board in the rear do not have this aluminum trim, is it supposed to? If it is supposed to be there, I think this part is missing.

On the floor boards, front and back, I notice toward the seat side, there are metal clips that swing around to hold down the floor board. Is there supposed to be anything in the front of the floor boards to hold them down, I don't see any clips or any holes in the body where they might have been. How does the front of the floor boards hold down?

Also, he thinks the coil might be bad, he has an unoriginal coil under the hood, along with the original. He said he though some model of VW coil would fit inside the old coil, making it appear original. Anyone heard of anything like that?

If anyone wants, I can post some pics of the car in a few days.

thanks for any help, Larry

Larry:

You need to fill out your profile. Here are some of your answers. The holes you speak of are for the top rests and there are many styles. I believe the Dodge used and expanding bolt on theirs and there would be wood inside the body beltline where the bolt fits through.

The floor boards and running boards are covered with battleship linoulem which is still avalaible. Romac has it as well as several other suppliers. The edging originaly was a zinc materiaql but is usually replaced with an aluminum edge. I use cabinet edgeing avaliable at lowes.

I don't know of any coil that will fit into the original holder but you can use a 12 volt external vw coil.

The floor boards have holes in them for carriage bolts to hold them down.

Send me an email address and I can supply you with pictures.

Guest lmccoll

Thanks for the info. It is a 1924 model, not a 23, my mistake. I worked on it a little today, it doesn't need a lot to finish.

I am going to sign up for the DB magazine.

Does anyone have any info on things like car numbers, engine numbers etc? Engine block says A 104889, head is A 76147 with either a 8728 or 8723, not sure which.

lmccollum2suddenlink.net