Tips for removing Harmonic Balancer bolt needed

Guest Orono

Guest Orono

I am attempting change the timing chain on my 88 coupe. Simple enough job but the bolt for the harmonic balancer is froze. I tried (and tried) using an impact, frequently changing direction, with out success. I am hesitant to use heat. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old time trick from a middle timer:<P>Place a socket onto the bolt holding the balancer and a breaker bar into the socket. Support the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter over.<P>Presto! The rotating balancer will loosen the bolt in two seconds. grin.gif" border="0

Without trying to sound like a old fuddy duddy. I have seen a few of the members post this "trick" before. I can't say I really agree with it, sure it may work but think of the consequences of a fairly unsure mechanic performing this procedure and having the breaker bar slip. At the worst it could take out the water pump snout or not so bad, twist off the head of the bolt in the crankshaft. All very possible scenarios of this procedure if not done by someone experienced or adept with tools.<P>If you are trying to get this bolt off with a good 250 ft pound air impact wrench and it still is not coming loose, I say keep trying it will eventually come loose. Up your air pressure to 120 psi and then try again. A little heat on the head of the bolt won't destroy anything as long as you don't try to do it with a cutting torch!<P>This is a very dangerous practice if not done properly, although it will work. I just find it a little crude considering the number of crankshafts I have seen over the years with broken bolts in the snout, no doubt caused by this method. The brake bleeding draft is full of caveat emptors regarding the procedure, this procedure seems to just as dangerous to me when I have never had any problem removing this bolt on any engine before that a little perseverence didn't solve. I'm sure there will be some disdainers who use this procedure all the time with no problem, but just check how much getting that broken bolt out will cost at your local machine shop first. They probably have had to do a few, I could understand if you were in the middle of nowhere and had no choice but there are other choices like a 500 ft pound 3/4'drive impact within a car drive away at your local garage!?<BR>I hate to be a wet blanket but I had to say something.

Ole 4-jaw has got the right idea. I've used the impact wrench method many times. I works very well. Like they used to say in an odl TV commercial, <B>Try it... you'll like it</B>. Without going too far off topic... does any one remember the commercial? confused.gif" border="0