1928 Accessories Question

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I got an e-mail the other day describing a 1928 car (which is sadly, no more) and wondering about it. From the description, I think I was able to nail it down to either a model 24 or 54. Here's the description of some of the accessories - I've seen some of the wicker stuff, but the rack described behind the trunk is like nothing I've been able to picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do remember that it was a dark green 2 door 4 or 5 seater

with pin striped wooden spokes,

a very long hood,

spare tires on each front fender with rear view mirror on top

a wooden trunk trunk on the rear with a fold down wooden rack behind the trunk,

a vertical tapered wicker holder just to the rear of the driver's door for parasols or possibably a few golf clubs

a wicker box with hinged lid was located on the running board just behind the passenger's door, probably a picnic basket.

All it would have needed was the removal of the many years of dust, pump up the tires and it would have been a show winner.

I can not find a picture of this particular car anywhere.

Could it have been a custom body with all of these baskets and wood fixtures (trunk and luggage rack)?

</div></div>

After asking a couple of clarifying questions, I received the following information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I failed to mention that it was a convertible, body longer than a sport coupe but not as long as a phaeton.

The canvas top was there, but it was probably dry rotted as were the tires.

As to the hinged rack, in its upward position it folded against the wooden trunk and when it was down it extended about 3 feet where you could load 4 or 5 large suitcases or another wooden trunk if it would carry the weight.

It had the Buick emblem on the foldup rack.

</div></div>

I realize it would be possible to find a Buick emblem and add it to the rack on the back of something homemade.

Can anyone shed any light on this? The fellow is reminiscing back to 1952...a tree fell on the shed the car was in in 1953 and the owner, rather than restoring or parting out, cut up the car cry.gifmad.gif

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

The description would point to a 1928 Model 54CC, which would be a very large convertible, possibly with a golf bag door built in. All the items described would be on or could be added to that car. If your friend saw the car near you in Canada, it was probably a McLaughlin-Buick. It would be a real prize today.

regards, Dave Corbin