buick roadmaster engine exchange - will 47 & 48 swap

brock76c

i am working on a 47 76c. i am looking at buying a 48 roadmaster 4dr as a parts car- the 48 has a rebuilt motor - will it bolt in by just swapping the motor mount brackes- let me know if this will work for me. also any info on inner rockes to build or make fit off a 4d would be helpful. if i get the parts car i will have a lot of 4dr stuff that is really nice to sell. also looking for othe relaterd parts for convertible.

buick roadmaster engine exchange - will 47 & 48 sw

brock in portland oregon

ok thanks for the info- what do you think i could sell the complete rebuild 320 motor from the 48 and put the money toward rebuilding mine- mine does run and no smoke- i was considering the 48 for a spare down the road. but may be selling it would be better than storeing it. it is less mainifolds. (comon cracked exhauts) yuo have alot of mines on your 56c - i too plan on driving my 47. what are the common wear parts the i should keep a look out for? does the rear end on these wear bad and make alot of noise?

brock

Brock

If you are going to use the car, save the engine. If you have it ,you will never need it, but if you sell it , you will need it (this is the way things go with me anyway)

The first thing I would do if you are going to drive the car is, get the center pig from a V8 dynaflow Buick from 53-55 (they have 3.3-3.6 ratios and are MUCH more user friendly on the highway.) I have a 3.4 in my 40 and it runs 70 all day long.

Brock,

I'm not sure if it matters but it would in newer cars: the 48 was 1st year for Dynaflow and the 47's would have standard shift. I might think it would be best apples to apples so check if the 48 is Dynaflow equipped.