Starting Problems

tcams76

My '89 is showing error code EO21(throttle position sensor circuit/signal voltage high) and the car is some time hard to crank 2/3 minutes. I wouldn't mine taking the car to the dealer to save time if it not going to cost a arm and a leg. <BR>Does someone have a est. of this repair cost?<BR>The car is idling high also (1000rpm), other than that the car runs fine.

Did you check the TPS voltage while in diagnostics? Does it run up and down with throttle movement? If it is indeed reading something in the 4 volt range or more, at closed throttle, it is telling the ECM to shutoff the fuel because it thinks you have the pedal down and are trying to clear a flooded condition. Changing the TPS isn't really hard. It is on the lower front of the throttle body, opposite the throttle linkage, facing down and forward at about 45 deg. It is held in place with two phillips screws. If you do replace it, it must be adjusted to the proper setting of about .4 volts at closed throttle, and you should see over 4 full volts at wide open. Be sure the little tab from the throttle shaft engages the actuator on the TPS.

Thanks I am not that dumb to continuous crank the car for 2/3 minutes.<BR>Sounds like it shouldn't be over 100 bucks so I will take it to the dealer.<BR>I don't have a garage and it is still cold here.<BR>2seater if the TPS has to be changed is this a part any tune-up shop could get within a short period of time?

Guest C.F.Massie

Hey tcams76, you can pick up a TPS from almost any aftermarket auto parts store. I changed my TPS and IAC and got both from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and if I remember correctly they both came to less than $150.00, and that was a year ago. The most costly item I have had to replace, as far as engine sensors, is the MAF. That puppy cost about $300.00. Remember the 3800 V6 is the most common GM V6 and components are plentiful at most auto parts stores and, of course, a lot less than the dealerships.

Thanks, I found another place that would do it for $250 installed. They say it takes 2/3 hours. <BR>I haven't worked on cars in years I wouldn't know where to begin, plus this is my daily ride.<BR>Do you think I should change the wires while the hood is up. My old ones say 8mm high performance. I have new set from Belden(Napa) sitting around.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to change unless they are going to pull the engine first. wink.gif" border="0 Since the car was built with built in diagnostics they don't have to even hookup any sort of test equipment. The only reason for 2-3 hrs would be some sort of diagnostic work, but you have already done this?

Guest wally888

Changing the TPS and adjusting is a simple job, takes a few minutes.<BR> Can't remember where I bought one but was not much and I changed it in the driveway at my daughter house in 10 minutes. Also lucked out as the voltage was .38 w/o making any adjustments.<BR> I broke or messed up original while changing thermostats several times. Had same symptoms as yours.