Rattle at Engine/Trans splitline

My 90 Coupe has a rattle when it is at idle and in park that sounds like it is coming from inside the sheet metal pan on the drivers side end of the transaxle. I've never had one of those off but isn't there a chain in there? Is it reasonable to think that at 147K that this chain could be stretched and slapping something? If so, how big of a job is it to replace this and what will it damage if anything if I do nothing? Thanks!

Check the rubber in the vibration damper on the front of the engine. If it is not solid and smooth it may rattle and make a sound that is hard to pinpoint.

Could also be catalytic convertor or convertor shield coming apart and rattle noise traveling up or down pipe. Can pinpont by listening thru piece of rubber hose as moved to different locations of engine conpartment. just my 2 cents.<BR>ronvb

I just had my trans rebuilt.<BR>The flexplate/Flywheel was broken at the<BR>crank bolt. There were other items broken or<BR>worn out.<BR>To check if the trans is your noise source<BR>unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel.<BR>Push the converter away from the fly wheel and start the engine.<BR>No noise it's the trans.

Don B. what was the mileage when the flex plate broke? Was something else the cause of the breakage, or just a bad flex plate?