Good evening guys,
I looked at the car today, in, over and under. Here are my observations and questions for you:
1. This car had a frame on refreshment some years ago. New paint, new KH chrome wheels, engine rebuild. No rust but interior is original. Looks pretty good but could stand a thorough cleaning. 97k miles, maybe original. Some gauges don’t work. All 7 relays in electric hydraulic system work but nothing moves. Hydraulic pump isn’t work though it has power. Thus none of windows, seats, or top could move.
2. Car is very pretty Matador red but chrome needs cleaning. Everything is there and from 20’ is drop dead gorgeous. Up close it needs lots of attention visually. Everything is there. No rust anywhere after crawling under the car and poking around under carpeting.
3. Engine oil and tranny fluid looked amber and pink. Radiator needed 1/2 gallon of fluid so I tipped it up. A little oil in air filter bath but not much. The engine and tranny look too clean to be original but not clean enough for a rebuild in last 7-10 years.
4. Driving it: Front end seems very very loose. It wandered all around bumpy roads, had a hard time staying in a straight line on smooth roads, and it was surprisingly not comfortable. When starting from a dead stop, and especially if going up any incline, the tranny whined like a big dog. The whining went away at 5-10 mph. After that it was fine. Seemed like plenty of power.
5. Top is a canvas replacement top with a very small glass back window. Apparently this is an option some top guys offer.
I really like the 53 in general but something tells me this tranny has pending issues, at least the front suspension needs a complete overhaul, and the electric hydraulic system needs some work at the pump. Maybe a new solenoid or a pump. Some chrome may need to be refreshed. Paint is fine for a pretty driver which is what I seek.