My 1977 Cutlass Supreme Ragtop *DELETED*

Guest Strange

Nice. Reminds me of my first car. It was a 76 Cutlass Supreme. What a great cruiser. Looks like the car was only mildly changed from 76 to 77.

Cheers,

Strange

Thanks Strange, As far as I can remember, the only difference cosmetically is the grill and the A/C vents. On the 76 they're round and the 77 they're rectangular, but I'm sure there are people here who can come up with more. Do you have a car posted?

Hi,

Was this a custom made convertible? I've never seen a 73-79 body style like that in convertible form. My brother had a '76 Cutalss S, he used the heads from my 1970 350 and had them polished and ported and man could that thing haul! Let me know, because I didn't think any coverts were made in those years. It's really a cool looking car, enjoy it! Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking. Your correct there weren't any 77 convertibles produced. I've never seen one before or since, so it's as far as I know a One Of A Kind.

As the story goes, told to me by the person I purchased it from. A gentleman purchased the car for his wife, new. The car supposedly went from the dealer to the coachbuilder for the conversion. I'm currently trying to research this, haven't had any luck yet though. If anyone might know who would have done a conversion like this for GM around 1977 It would be greatly appreciated.

The car has a stock 403hp in it with enough pep when needed, but I'm not really a speed guy, I'm more of slow cruisin' guy. Other than that it's a stock Cutlass. Right now I'm working on converting the interior to buckets, but the seats are hard to come by in good condition at a reasonalbe price. I'd really like to do something about the top, because I really don't like the way it looks with the top up. Whem I get a chance I'm going to post more photos.

NICK

Guest Strange

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Strange, As far as I can remember, the only difference cosmetically is the grill and the A/C vents. On the 76 they're round and the 77 they're rectangular, but I'm sure there are people here who can come up with more. Do you have a car posted? </div></div>

Shame about the ports. I was always fond of the round vents. Still I imagine that the rectangular ones work better, the round ones weren't as directional. Thanks for asking, but I'm still in the wishing phase as a nice old car goes. One day. My old '76 came stock with the 260 V8. My biggest mistake was when I swapped for a chevy 350. What a nightmare that started. I'm not a speed person, but that 260 tended to labor when the A/C was on. 0-60 in 20 seconds seemed a bit slow even for me.

Cheers,

Strange

Hello Strange,

Actually, as much as love the 77 Cutlass I have to confess, My true dream ride is a 1958 Eldorado

Barritz convertible. Unfortunately it's just a little bit out of my price range.

As I said I'm not a speed guy either, but I still have to have that big gas guzzling 8 cylinder

just in case. I have a big mistake story for you. I had a 77 Supreme Brougham, which was a first place show winner. Well I sold it to a friend of mine who tried to do some kind of engine modification. I don't know what he was doing (and obviously neither did he), well the car caught fire, and that was pretty much that. By the way I add more pictures if your interested. Car Domain

Guest Strange

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hello Strange,

Actually, as much as love the 77 Cutlass I have to confess, My true dream ride is a 1958 Eldorado

Barritz convertible. Unfortunately it's just a little bit out of my price range.

As I said I'm not a speed guy either, but I still have to have that big gas guzzling 8 cylinder

just in case. I have a big mistake story for you. I had a 77 Supreme Brougham, which was a first place show winner. Well I sold it to a friend of mine who tried to do some kind of engine modification. I don't know what he was doing (and obviously neither did he), well the car caught fire, and that was pretty much that. By the way I add more pictures if your interested. Car Domain </div></div>

Ouch, that was a mistake on your 77 Brougham. That's one I have yet to have happen, having a car catch on fire and hopefully never will. The chevy 350 I put into the cutlass blew 2 rods after 1000 miles. I broke it in real slow never going over 45 for the first 1000 and then the first trip I got it up to 55 mph on and it blew.

The '58 eldorado barritz looks like a nice car. Hopefully you'll find one someday. My own preference from that era is the 1960 thunderbird. I thought I almost had one when the owner decided that he didn't want the hassles of a long distane purchase. Ah, well, the search goes on.

Oh, that dash is very different from my old '76.

Cheers,

Strange

The differences between the '76 Cutlass and the '77 are few. The majority of them are as follows:

1) Grille

2) Script "Oldsmobile" on grill (76) versus printed in 1977.

3) Bumper impact strip had white stripe in the groove in 1977, plain black in 1976.

4) A/C Vents round in 76, rectangular in 77

5) One of the years had a larger Olds "rocket" in the tailights.

Brian

• 1 month later...
Guest Joe_Varley

The car was probably converted by Hess and Eisenhardt in Cincinnatti. The did the Caddy Seville conversions back then, changing 4 door Sevilles into 2 door convertibles, which were really ugly. H & E was sold since and the name changed, but a Google search will probably tell you the new name and maybe you will want to contact them.