Off subject, but..

Someone said that the new PT Cruiser can go from 0 to 60 in like 8 seconds or something. The PT has a 4 cyl. engine but 150 HP. Is this possible? I'd thought I'd ask this question here, since you are all very knowledgeable about cars.

Motor Trend says the Neon will do 0-60 in<BR>8.2 sec. The PT is a Neon underneath so<BR>should be in the ballpark. For a while the<BR>Neon was Chrysler's fastest besides the Viper. Chrysler will sell a jillion Cruisers<BR>because they are cute and the aftermarket boys are having a heyday with accessories for<BR>it.

According to Motor Trend magazine, the PT Cruiser will go from 0 to 60 in 8.6 seconds. It will do a quarter of a mile in 16.5/82.3. The car will stop from 60 miles an hour in 120 feet. The PT Cruiser weighs in at 3123 lbs. The data was from a unit with 5 speed transmission. This information was gleened from the August issue. They seemed very impressed for the most part.<P>As an aside, If you are thinking about buying one, wait. The dealers are charging a great deal over sticker. Once the newness of this car wear off, the price should be back to normal. A fully loaded one is just over $20,000. The price starts at just over $15,000 plus freight.

While this is not a Chrysler forum and the PT Crusier has nothing to do with the Reatta, I think many of us love cars of any brand and the PT Crusier in a very unique automobile to the Chrysler line as the Reatta is to GM.<P>The PT Cruiser is indeed based a great deal on the Neon. It front suspension and power train is a re-engineered Neon structure. The rear suspension is somewhat unique to the PT Cruiser. The PT Crusier is actually almost a half a foot shorter than the Neon, however it looks larger. Interior components are for the most part, exclusive to the Crusier. The car does not share any underbody structure with the Cirrus platform. Cirrus can only be ordered with the V6 engine, however the late and unlamented Plymouth Breeze can be ordered with a four as is the Dodge Stratus. As the Reatta's big sister is the Riveria and PT's is the Neon. I worked for a Chrysler Plymouth dealer while the car was being engineered for the show car circuit and am somewhat knowledgeable about its origin.

Actually,<P> The PT does 0-60 in 10 seconds. The turbo version that is being promised is the one that does it in 8. This is according to the Car and Driver September issue.<P>Matt Wolfe<P>------------------<BR>If your not living on the edge your taking up too much space.

Thanks for all of your replies. I just found it hard to believe that a 4 cyl. could have that much "get up & go", but then, I'm not all that knowledgeable about cars. I do know this: The PT is not my cup of tea. Just looks like a modified mini-van to me, and I suspect it will be the next "soccer mom" car. As my sig says I "LUV MY REATTA"