Magical Trunk release

Ted Davenport

Has anyone ever had a trunk release that just kept triggering over, and over again. (Every 4 or 5 seconds) We woke up this morning hearing it out our window. It was raining, and I am assuming that is an electronic short...just hoping that someone else has had this problem, and can isolate what I need to replace...

My trunk release will continue to fire if I dont turn the key back to vertical when I unlock the trunk. The key is stiff (always has been) and will stay in the engage position.

Definitely sounds like a bad switch in either the remote or, more likely, in the glove box. Mine did the same as the other post mentioned -- turn the key and the electronic latch keeps firing repeatedly until you turn the key back. I thought they were supposed to do that.<P>Anyway, simplest test is to remove the battery from your remote and see if the problem goes away. If not, then it's somewhere between the glovebox switch and the actuator for the lock release. YOu should be able to disconnect the switch easily enough to see if that makes the problem stop. If it does, then it's the switch. If not, then its the wiring or the actuator in the trunk. That's where it gets dicier for me. I think you can disconnect the wiring coming in from the glovebox and still leave the wiring from the trunk key intact if so, you can test whether the actuator still misfires repeatedly with that trunk-to-glovebox wiring out of the loop. Ultimately, you'll get to the component that's failed if you keep eliminating one section at a time.<P>Alternative could be the trunk lock itself if the switch there is shorted out, so try to elminate that and reconnect the glove box as another test.<P>What fun!<P>Alternative I've seen on a used Prelude. Get bungee cords and tie the trunk lid closed. smile.gif<BR>

I'm in agreement with Puget & Bscopatz on this one. If you park outside, check the position of the trunk's keyhole. If it's that, and neither you nor your wife ever open the trunk with the key, I'd suggest being on the lookout for a theif. They will sometimes try to use a screwdriver to turn the keyhole and pop the trunk. It's an old trick that works pretty well on many GM's and Ford's, even to this day.<BR>Hope it's not that, though (the thief part of it, that is).<BR>LOL and good luck.

Guest Brad Gales

I had the same problem with my 88 about 8 months ago that continued even after I disconnected the trunk key switch. Also, it would activate when I was driving, which is not supposed to happen when the gear selector is not in park. I never found a problem, but I did replace the relay in the trunk and it hasn't happend in the past 8 months.

Had the same thing happen. Open the trunk and on the right hand side peel back the covering. You will find a relay there. Replace this relay and you will eliminate the problem.