Driver's Side Vent Window Question

gearhead

I have a chance to buy a pretty nice Reatta that has had damage to the driver's mirror and fixed window. His wife hit a fence while backing it out the driveway. The current owner said that this window is no longer sold by Buick and that it must be found from a parts car. He found one in a junk yard, but they wanted $850 for the whole door and would not sell the mirror and window separately.<P>Is there another way to skin the cat? I am not a fanatic towards originality and would be willing to do something other than an OEM part, as long as it looks nice. Can a glass shop make one of these windows? I haven't actually seen the car to see if the glass is curved. He said it is tempered glass.<P>This is my only hesitation in buying the car. If someone has some insight into how to deal with this situation, it would help with my purchase decision.<P>Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Check with a plexiglass fabricator. You should be able to match the glass with plexi and save yourself some bucks in the process.<P>Reportedly, no source exists for those small windows except junk yards which (as you discovered) are not interested in parting out door units.<BR>