1918-20? Simms-Huff Starter/Generator Sought

hddennis

Trying to find a good usable armature or complete Simms-Huff Starter/Generator for 1918-20? Maxwell. Brass data tag should read Type HM  or Type M or Type SMS.  Having a hard time finding information on how long this style was used but we need the large octagon Starter/Generator that is straight 12 volts and not the earlier start on 12 volts run on 6 volts.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hi Howard - -

if you are still looking, I have one that may work for you - it is hexagonal rather than octagonal.

The brass tag reads:  

The Simms-Huff Starting and Lighting System

12 - 14 volts

Type SMS with a superscript "3"

Number 278972

Mfg by the Simms Magneto Co.

Pat Pending

East Orange, NJ

I can't really test it, but when I spin it by hand, it produces a small voltage.  The bearings seem to be OK.

Allen Smith

1 hour ago, hamilton101 said:

Hi Howard - -

if you are still looking, I have one that may work for you - it is hexagonal rather than octagonal.

The brass tag reads:  

The Simms-Huff Starting and Lighting System

12 - 14 volts

Type SMS with a superscript "3"

Number 278972

Mfg by the Simms Magneto Co.

Pat Pending

East Orange, NJ

I can't really test it, but when I spin it by hand, it produces a small voltage.  The bearings seem to be OK.

Allen Smith

Allen, send me price, pictures and   contact details and I will contact my friend whose car needed this.

Howard Dennis

It is okay but you can also use PM  private message.  Hold your cursor over the persons avtar, a dialogue box will come up giving you three options.  If you chose to send a message then what you send and what the other person replies is just between you two.  A lot of users don't wish their email addresses to be out on the public forum.

Only members can access this message feature and as long as you reply using the forum neither of you know the others email.