Transmission--Rearend oil for 1929 Pontiac

tartop

Finally getting the engine back from the machine shop so we are getting closer to being back on the road. What weight of oil is used in the transmission AND the rear end?? I assume it would be 80-90 weight but thought I would ask first. Thanks!

Originally would have been thicker than 90.  140 wt gear lube works real well but is often hard to find.  The 600W that the Fords use is steam cylinder oil but is great for your transmission and differential.  Remember they only need to be so full that you can touch the oil with your curved little finger.  This is a list that I made of all the suitable gear oils.  Some of them you have to buy in a 5 gallon pail.

HYPOID Sae 250, Sae 140,  Shell Dentax,  Shell Valvata,  Texaco Thabun 250,  Texaco Meropa 680,  Mobil 600W Cylinder oil,  Lubriplate SPO 299

What ever was it that caused your engine to leak?

Hi Reid. Thank You for your response. I knew that you would be the one to know what to use. 

The leak was around the rear of the crank. They installed the wooden wedges and that did not help any. I did not see the engine when they had it opened up but from what I understand there is somewhat of a groove near the rear of the crank. They installed a seal from a small block chevy there but it did not work because there was not a "lip" to keep it from sliding up the crank towards the center of the engine. So from what I understand, they machined a "lip" out of a piece of steel and installed it around the rear of the crank thus making a true groove for the small block chevy seal to set in. They say they have ran it for 30 minutes and it has not leaked. So hopefully it is good. Cannot go pick it up until next week because of prior commitments.