(Possibly heretical) air conditioning

John Boyd

Anyone have any experience installing AC on a Chrysler Airflow or similar car? Not a hot rod, just a stock, driver-quality cruiser that I want to drive cross-country in relative comfort. Engine (8-cyl in-line flathead) and transmission (3-speed with overdrive) don't change. 

Here's what I've found so far:

• I will probably need to convert to 12v 
  • I can buy a condenser made for old cars -- comes with attached fan; intended to be mounted under the floor but in a good breeze. I like that it's less visible and doesn't preheat the radiator air flow.
  • I can find an evaporator unit that includes a heater. So I can install the interior components where my heater currently lives.
  • I'll need to figure out louvers and hose routing myself.
  • I want a modern R134a compressor, Sanden I think they are called, or clone -- much smaller than older York or Harrison compressors, also allegedly smoother and quieter.
  • I'll have to remove my 6v positive ground generator and fabricate brackets to mount a 1-wire-style alternator and the AC compressor.

It's this last step where I really need advice. Anyone solved it? A photo would be great.

Thanks.

I too have thought of adding A/C to my C-17.  Temps here in Tucson exceed 100° F for 55+ days a year and even with all the vents open it is hot, and that reduces alertness and concentration on traffic conditions.  Vintage Air does make heater A/C units that could work in Airflows, all do require 12V conversion.