A/C Blowing Out Defroster Only

Mr. Anderson

I'm finishing the last few things on the interior of the 91, so I thought it would be appropriate to ask this now:

Since I have bought the car, the air has only come through the defroster vent. It will also come through the floor vents if the ECC is in BI-LEV or HEATER. There is no blockage to my knowledge in the system, and the A/C is a r-134 system that does blow cold air. The compressor and clutch engage as they should, so I'm betting that the system is functioning properly.

Am I looking at a vacuum line needing fixed or is this related to the arm that runs to the top of the HVAC programmer?

Guest HuevosRanchero

on mine the vacuum check valve at the middle  of the firewall had neatly split in half at the seam. Impossible to see or even hear until I touched it. 

This morning I found a badly disintegrated vacuum line going to the vacuum reserve tank. It literally fell apart in my hands. Hopefully this solves the issue because I did the tests in the A/C diagnostic section of the FSM and it appears that everything is working as it should be, at least according to the computer and the programmer.

Guest PontiacDude210

On a car that age, you may want to inspect all your vacuum lines. I had several that broke but were sticky enough to collapse and not leak. Weird to try to track down.

I replaced a vacuum line to the reserve tank and still have no luck with the A/C. The FSM says that if A/C blows out defrost but not vents then to check upper mode valve. Where exactly is this valve? If I could guess it would be all the way behind the dash where I can't get to it.