Class 25 -- no rules create chaos

The class 25, undocumented competition and sports, has become a mish-mash that no longer has structure. Way to big, undefined and cumbersome. At any given show, you will find cars that don't belong in that class -- standard production passenger coupes and sedans -- only because their manufacturers have a strong sports or competition line and image. Yet other cars that meet the same criteria are happily sent off to production classes.<P>Case in point, my '69 Porsche 2+2 coupe. Standard production model -- one of 15,179 units of that series produced in '69 -- was rightfully entered in 27H production class when it turned antique in 1994. National 1st, Senior, Preservation all in 27H. At the GN in 1997, a judge from class 25 decided I should be in his class and pitched a fit. Not the specially equipped Indy 500 Camero coupe parked next to it in 27H, not the 2 seater Darrins; but included was the 4-door Jaguar sedan. Since then, it's been bounced back and forth between the classes. Go figure.<P>Even after board memeber & now current president Janet Rickens declared it to be properly classed at the GN, this particular judge carried on his (against all procedure rules) reclassification crusade and the car ended up being judged in both classes. Yet, to this date, no officer of the AACA will declare the Porsche coupes to be in class 25 IN WRITING. They won't even answer my letters.<P>I don't care one way or the other -- we are supposed to be judged on a level playing field by points only -- and Porsche surely has a reputation for being sports and compeition. However, even in competition, it was a SEDAN! And since the car is a 4 passenger, standard production model, class 27H was a logical choice under the rules then in effect that strongly declared 25 to be for undocumented competition and sports. The changing of the rules, without policy or documentation, is the issue and National Judging needs to be a lot more responsive and a lot less arrogant about it. It's time to define sports and undocumented competition.<P>------------------<BR>Capt. Mike

The criteria for Class 25 needs improvement. A subcommittee of the AACA Class Judging Committee is working on it and new criteria should be available soon.<P>Standard production, per se, is not applicable for eliminating a car from Class 25. If that was applicable we would eliminate the MG T series, MGA, MGB and many others that properly are in Class 25. Some later model sports cars had a back seat (although ridiculously inadequate for most people) so a 4-passenger configuration is not necessarily cause for elimination from Class 25. I certainly would call a Morgan 2+2 a sport car. Many sports cars were produced with hardtops.<P>The Class Judging Committee has concluded that all Porsches should be in Class 25. There, you have it in writing from a National Director. As for non response to your letters, please be more specific. When and to whom did you write and was letter rational or belligerent and accusatory?<P>As for application of the classification procedures the process is neither personal or arbitrary and sometimes calls for a judgement call. If you consider that arrogant or nonresponsive, that is unfortunate. Some manufacturers, Jaquar for example, produced both sports cars and non-sports cars. It is only the configuration of the individual car which places it in Class 25 or in another class. The Camaro to which you referred was properly in 27H, but may likely be moved to the new High Performance, or so-called Muscle Class. (I don't have the full list).<P>