1918 Hudson Engine Troubles

ThomasBorchers

Hello my friends.<BR>We have this problem with our engine of our 1918 Hudson Super Six: Since we have the car we have the problem that the first spark plug is wet and makes no spark, of course. When I clean the plug and screw it in and we drive, then sometimes we have luck and then it works but very often the plug is wet after a short while and even when I remove it and clean it, it does not work. Then sometimes we can drive 20 miles with no problems. The 2nd plug is absolutely dry, the 3rd shows a bit moisture, 4 and 5 is dry, too and the last one is a bit wet but it has a spark. <BR>We checked the 1st plug if it has a spark and it has. The engine was rebuild recently with new valves and head gasket. Every cylinder has a good pressure. BUT the car has not the original carburetor. Is has a Stromberg OC 2 with an electric fuel pump. Maybe this is the problem that the engine needs the orig. carb? Or is it even a problem that the engine gets too much oil? Because the gauge shows in idle speed 3 but it should shows 1 to 1 1/2. <BR>HELP!!<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

THOMAS,HAVE YOU TRIED SWITCHING THE PLUG WITH A KNOWN GOOD PLUG IN ANOTHER CYLINDER TO SEE IF THE PROBLEM FOLLOWS THE PLUG.THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NEW PLUGS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE FIRING PROPERLY.I WOULD GUESS THAT YOUR PROBLEM IS IGNITION AND I WOULD LOOK AT THE PLUGS FIRST.PHIL

Thanks for the tip, Phil but I changed already the plugs between the cylinders. I have to search again. By the way: Yesterday after a 15 miles tour with 5 cylinders I cleaned the plugs and then it run 15 miles with 6 cylinders but it seems that the engine starts with some faulty ignitions. I inspected the plugs and saw that plug one and three was a bit moist with a smear sticky film on the bottom of the thread but they still fire because the other parts in the plugs were dry.<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Thomas, as Train Guy mentioned, the problem is probably in the ignition - that means plugs, points, and ignition wire. I agree with him about the ignition problem - the plug is not firing and the plug gets wet. Try modern ignition cables for some tests.

Hi Ron.<BR>We changed all ignition cables recently but I found another thing: The plug threads in the head are longer as the threads at the plugs. Maybe it is a problem that the plug is too far away that they can not ignite the gas? But plugs with a long thread will hit the piston or valves said our mechanic... Maybe there is a very special plug for these Super Six engines? confused.gif<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Thomas, Tell us what spark plugs you are using. Maybe someone can recommend a longer and/or higher heat range plug. Also you may want to use a depth gage to check just how much room you have before there is a problem of the plug tip hitting the piston or valve. Most of these old engines have plenty of clearance.<P>Have you made plans for Hershey this year. We are all hoping to meet you there. Ron

Dear Ron.<BR>We use this plug : Bosch D 7 BC. I don't know if you can convert that? I have to check how many room there is but I am afraid not too much because the CR is 5 to 1. It is a lot for this time, I think.<BR>Hmm, Hershey... My room in Lebanon is booked since months but at the moment I am a bit low with my money, I must say. The dollar is very high and my cars cost more as I can earn with it. Perhaps when I can sell my 1912 Cadillac for a good price then I can say: Yes, I go to Hershey and have a look for a new car. I plan also to make a small business here with classic cars, spare parts and accessories for classic cars. So I need a bit money for this. I will see... Now it is not the end of August and who knows it: Maybe my stocks will be more worth in the future...<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA