Old School

D Binger

I have seen several of these in in the past and have wondered what the reason for the valve stem was. I asked an old timmer about this and he told me that it was part of a "Mist Injector". The valve steam would have a tube that went to a fitting on the carb or the intake manifold. Better gas millage or preformance??? What are your thoughts on this? The ones I have seen have been in the Rocky Mountain region.<BR>see picture at<BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/misc/danb.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/misc/danb.jpg</A> <P>Dan<P><BR>[This message has been edited by D Binger (edited 08-18-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by peterg (edited 08-18-2000).]

Hi Dan, <BR> I think what you have here, is a variation of a water injection system to "Make your car run like it does on a cool misty morning". This was the "Hook" that was used by advertisers way back when. Although I have never seen the type you have, I distinctly remember various water injection systems advertised in the back pages of POPULAR MECHANICS, MECHANICS ILLUSTRATED, POPULAR SCIENCE etc. in the 40s. Every Rube Goldberg contraption known to man, was advertised in the last dozen (or so) pages of these Magazines. All units I can remember, had their own self-contained water supply with various means of delivering the liquid or vapor to the carburetor. It's interesting to second guess the inventor of your system, and see how effective his water vapor injection system operated. In theory, it must have worked liked Gangbusters until the coolant level dropped to the point where the car overheated. Kinda short-sighted! If you can access some of these old magazines referenced earlier, you're sure to find these ads. I'd suspect your device was probably marketed in the late '20s or early '30s. In any event, It doesn't seem to be "period correct". Wouldn't it be neat to have that device (complete) along with some dated advertising shown on an HPOF car?<BR> Regards, Tom