Flethead 6 parts question

I am in process or restoring a '51 Chiefton, FH 6. I am in need of the water pump. I have found on from a '50 flathead 8 Pontiac, but can not find anything that would tell me if they are interchangeable. Are any parts for the engine interchangeable between the 6 and 8? if not, can someone tell me where I could find one?

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Guest Pete Woodruff

The water pumps are interchangable on 49 - 53 engines whether 6 or 8 cylinders, so the one you have should work. The factory rebuild kit for these pumps was Pt. No.513164 according to my 1953 Pontiac Master Parts Catalog and included everything needed to rebuild the pump.

Guest Pete Woodruff

I don't have a list; but it is a significant number. A quick scan of my parts book shows the interchange is even better from about 1937 through 1949. 1950 and newer shows much more distinction between the 6 and 8. I recommend that you try to find a Master Parts Catalog for '51 and you can use it as an interchange guide.

You may want to consider subscribing to the Early Times Chapter newsletter; it's dedicated to all '26 - '54 Pontiacs. The web address is: www.earlytimeschapter.org/