What is used to attach the BUICK letter on the trunk of my 63?

jimtash

Jim,

The "I" is held on by a spring clip style retainer, but I never had the other letters off of my 63. There are retaining clips called "barrel clips" that fit into the holes and then the trim piece is pushed into the clips. There are a couple of companies that handle this type of hardware for collector cars. Google "Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc." and check them out. There may be other members on the list with good sources for these clips too! I would wait until I had exhausted all the sources for clips before I would use the double sided tape. While it will work, the tape is designed for use with lighter plastic emblems with a large contact areas, not individual metal letters with chrome plating on them.

Good Luck,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeHogan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will send you a couple of clips. Call me with your address.

Mike

Buick Bonery

916/599-3934 </div></div>

Thanks and I will. Jim

Guest Mike Hogan

Jim, I have pulled your clips and I'm going to send them tomorrow. What I discovered is that indeed the "I" has its own clip. The "K" is the same as the other letters. It has a square hole and a square clip, despite the fact that the studs are round.

I will send your parking brake cable mounts next week when hopefully things calm down in the yard. I have to jack a car up and block it and that takes time.

Mike

Mike, you are a lifesavor. Can you pull me one more clip? It's for the trim on the rear quarter behind the door. The two "U" chrome pieces specifically that sit below the back seat window. I just noticed that one is missing its clip and it's similar to the one that holds the letter "I" but only smaller.

Guest Mike Hogan

Jim, Those e brake guides that you wanted. These are welded on. Do you want me to cut them out? I can easily see the two in the rear, do you know how many there are total?

I'm not sure if you and I are on the same page??? I need these parts that I have circled and they all have to do with the center of the cable, specifically where the front and rear sections are connected. I don't think any of those pieces are welded on but I can't say for sure.

63_Riv_parking_brake%201.JPG

Guest oakland

What is the correct way to remove the BUICK letters from the trunk lid? Do they just pry off, or is there a special tool needed to remove them? I would like to remove mine to have them rechromed. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oakland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the correct way to remove the BUICK letters from the trunk lid? Do they just pry off, or is there a special tool needed to remove them? I would like to remove mine to have them rechromed. Thanks </div></div>

They pry off and the clip should still be re-useable. Apply equal force slowly to all sides when prying because they are made of pot metal which is easily broken.

My problem is someone repainted the car and lost the clips and instead of trying to track down replacements, used super glue to hold them in. Luckily the "I" fell off when the car was being unloaded off the transporter or otherwise I'd be searching for a few letters as well.