Symptoms of a weak fuel pressure regulator???

waltmail

Anyone know? I am guessing I may have a problem there. From a cold overnight start, will not fire on first crank. Always starts on 2nd/3rd attempt. I have trial and errored a starting sequence which seems to be much better by keying the ignition 2-3 times from on -off - on before starting . Seems to be much better and eve fire first time after this procedure.

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)

Hi there, I just went through that. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I had recently [see Enoytsur’s Hard Starting post]. I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and it corrected the problem immediately.The tutorial on Ronnie's site in the Repair section is excellent. One tip ...the back screw is very difficult to reinstall. I recommend cutting a shortpiece of rubber tubing, stick the head of the screw in it and once you get the screw started simply pull off the rubber tubing and finish tightening. I didn’t have tubing so I put a glob of Plumber’s Putty on my index finger creating a similar way of holding the screw so not to drop it. Also, a mechanic's mirror is very helpful. The price can be as much as $120.00 but since I had spent a King's ransom for labor and changing out parts that opted to purchase a GP Sorenson Fuel Pressure Regulator for $40.99 at my local AutoZone. The part is solidly built and … it works! Ronnie’s site link to Fuel Pressure Regulator replacement: http://www.reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/67-engine-a-drivetrain/fuel-system/242-fuel-pressure-regulator-replacement<o:p></o:p>

Hope this helps, John<o:p></o:p>

Edited by Enoytsur (see edit history)

Hi there, I just went through that. The symptoms youdescribe are exactly what I had recently [see Enoytsur’s Hard Starting post]. Ireplaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and it corrected the problem immediately.The tutorial on Ronnie's site in the Repair section is excellent. One tip ...the back screw is very difficult to reinstall. I recommend cutting a shortpiece of rubber tubing, stick the head of the screw in it and once you get thescrew started simply pull off the rubber tubing and finish tightening. I didn’thave tubing so I put a glob of Plumber’s Putty on my index finger creating asimilar way of holding the screw so not to drop it. Also, a mechanic's mirroris very helpful. The price can be as much as $120.00 but since I had spent aKing's ransom for labor and changing out parts that opted to purchase a GPSorenson Fuel Pressure Regulator for $40.99 at my local AutoZone. The part is solidlybuilt and … it works! Ronnie’s site link to Fuel Pressure Regulatorreplacement: http://www.reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/67-engine-a-drivetrain/fuel-system/242-fuel-pressure-regulator-replacement<o:p></o>

Hope this helps, John<o:p></o>

Thank you for the feedback and the tips.