various parts restoration work

KDirk

I know there are several people here who scavenge and sell parts, as well as do minor resotration work on parts to use or resell.Thought I would give an update on my own stash of stuff that I've been working through the last few weeks.

I just finished refurbishing my long sitting stack of 88/89 wiper and headlamp switch banks. I also refurbed a couple of 88/89 shifter indicator and trim plates (got working EL backlight, cleaned old nasty black vinyl of of shift surrround strip, de-dented, polished and matte clear coated the aluminum trim plate) by cobbling together parts of 5 different units. Restored an alumnium trim for center console bezel as well.

Also have restored two pairs of front cornering lamp assemblies (polished lens, fixed amber globes as needed, epoxied cracks and heat damage in plastic housing, polished chrome and repainted flat black mask on top of bezel plus new bulbs where needed).

Fixed several interior plastics that were cracked with ABS cement. Also working on restoring a 90/91 type shift indicator plate for my 'vert. Took spare headlamp assemblies (frame, linkages and so forth) stripped down, cleaned off rust and corrosion and repainted.

Getting started on a tail lamp now, hoping to put on the convertible this week. Have several other miscellaneous small parts I've repaired and/or restored as well. Much of this is for use on my own cars, but I will probably be selling some things I have multiple extras of.

I also don't want to show my hand (yet) but I believe I finally have a good solution for 88/89 window and mirror switches in the works. My previous effort was ok, but much to time intensive to be practical. The results were also not entirely to my liking. I should have proofs of new decals this week, if they look good I will post here about it.

Yet another thing I posted about quite a while ago is a new touch screen anti-glare coating. I did replace one about a month ago and have been running it in my scrubby 88 since then. It works great (no effect on the touch screen senesitivity) and seems to be durable enough for the long term. My only complaint is the matte finish film I applied leaves the screen image slightly less sharp. I will try a different film on another unit to see if I can come up with something better.

I've been trying to tidy up loose ends on a lot of these things as they have be neglected for a long time. Got tired of too many unfinished piles of stuff sitting around and finally had to apply myself.

KDirk