CRT, Not Working

Dashmaster

CRT was working while I was trying to get car to run, Went out after ECM was installed but don't think that had anything to do with it going out. Since I have had the car it would go out sometimes. Since I do not have a service manual for the car, What are things I can check before I consider having it fixed or get another?

When they exhibit the tendency to shut down at odd times and work others, that is a sure indicator that it is time for a rebuild. All these CRTs that have NOT been rebuilt exhibit pretty much the same problems and the end result over time is virtually always a failure to power up or shutting down unexpectedly. Neither of mine had reached the point of a complete shutdown, but were showing the tell-tale sign of shearing of a portion of the display that would tend to move upwards over the display (i.e. making the display useless at times). FYI, the touch portion of the display seldom ever fails even when the display itself is blank (i.e. they are two separate systems in a common chassis). Removing the CRT unit is easy. As this is such an integral part of the 88/89 Reatta getting it fixed is a no brainer BTW, unless you just want a spare, don't bother buying a "tested good" CRT as they may work for a short period, even an hour or so before showing any signs of problems and few are tested for that length of time.

FYI, without the GM tester, there is actually NO way to verify if a problem is the CRT or the CRT controller without a spare CRT and CRT controller on hand. But history has shown the CRT controller to be really solid and trouble free while the CRT has a solid record of failing, but in a very predictable manner that is totally repairable.

I had my original CRT as well as spare rebuilt by Eddy Voland. He was a repair tech at GM during the years that the CRTs were in use and when he rebuilds he brings the units up to date with all the latest factory fixes as well as upgrading the components that tend to fail. The cost is flat $150. He is fast and been doing this for years. He typically has an ebay "buy it now" up and running where you can purchase the rebuild and then he will send you the shipping info. He can also be reached at eddievoland@yahoo.com. There are others out there that offer rebuilt units with longer warranties but at much higher prices. I hardily recommend Eddy!