Steering box ID needed

Guest jungerfrosch

Guest jungerfrosch

I got an old Doodlebug(home built tractor) and it has what I believe to be a Buick steering box. It sat open to the weather for a long time though and I need to find bearings. I'm not having much luck and thought perhaps if I could positively ID the box it may help.

post-100642-143142497654_thumb.jpg

post-100642-143142497661_thumb.jpg

post-100642-143142497666_thumb.jpg

Info from case:

Saginaw Gear:

261534-Pitman shaft/steering sector cross shaft unit casting number

261508-Pitman shaft housing casting number

261509-Main body casting number

Outer race

-Timkin 32

Cage

-Timkin 31A

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tad

• 3 weeks later...

Tad,

The Buick Master Parts List 1928 to 1941 shows part numbers for 1933 Buicks steering gear parts in the 2614xx and 2615xx range. So, Maybe someone with a 1933 Buick can take a look at the casting numbers they have. Hope this isn't too late to help. Good luck.

Les

Guest jungerfrosch

Thanks a lot, I hope it will help me get some bearings. I have the worm gear and a stub of the input shaft that rusted through. I'm planning on welding a new shaft onto the stub. The end is unscrewed so the stub does not show.

Tad

• 3 months later...
Guest jungerfrosch

Thank you again everyone who helped. I was able to find a complete '34 column and steering wheel on ebay in great shape, I never would have known what to look for without all your help. Now I don't have to go searching for obsolete bearings, I'm the bearings would have cost as much as the complete column if not more.

Tad