55 Chevy Belair restoration

Guest partner217

Guest partner217

Hi, I am restoring a 55 Belair and want put the original motor numbers on the block that will match up with the vin. Is there anywhere I can look that number up?

The engine number doesn't "match up with the vin (properly known as a serial number)." In 1955, the engine number would would tell you where it was built, what type of engine it is ( six or eight), which transmission it's mated to, which clutch, which carburetor, weather or not it's for a Corvette, weather or not it has a/c, and even tells you if it had overdrive.

For example: F55GJ xxxx would tell you that it was built in Flint for the yeaar 1955, was a 265cid V8 with manual transmission, heavy duty clutch, 2-barrel carb, no overdrive.

Catalog of American Car ID numbers: 1950-59

Guest partner217

Thanks that really helped. Is there any way to find out when the engine was built by the unit number? I don't want to have an engine that was built in November in a car that was assembled in March. The unit number on the motor is 0072480.

I think the sequence number started at 1001. With more than 1.5 million Chevys sold in 1955, the engine you have was probably built within the first two months of production.

Casting numbers on the block and intake, and pretty much every other part on the engine, can give you more information.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)