Tonneau instructions

Guest oldguy668

Guest oldguy668

I purchased a tonneau from one of the usual vendors, and the instructions are a grainy, 7th generation photocopy of a fax from last century. What I can determine from the instructions is that there are several disagreements between them and the Trim and Sealer manual. Does anybody have a set of instructions that are actually legible or shall I stick to the trim and sealer manual?

Hi Oldguy,

Did your car come with a tonneau from the factory? That makes a difference in how you move forward. I added one to my car which didn't have one originally, but had one installed aftermaket. I used both the instructions that came with the cover (got it from Prestige Thunderbird) and the trim and sealer manual. I believe that there are also instructions in the 1957 Ford and T-Bird shop manual. The one thing that I did not do is put extra snaps in the cover that allow it to be folded and attached to the bottom of the rear deck to form the drop curtain. I just fold it up behind the seat. I would defer to the trim and sealer manual or the shop manual. They give you the best direction for a factory correct installation. Follow the instructions closely for the snap placement. If you get that wrong there will be gathers in the vinyl and the installation will suffer. My turned out looking very good because I took my time and followed the directions closely. Please post your specific concerns and I will do my best to answer the.

Regards,

Guest oldguy668

What threw me off was the snaps that were on the lower windshield molding when I got the car. There are seven screws holding the moldings in place, and each had a snap, although there were no other snaps anywhere on the car, and I can't match what's there. My upholsterer and I have come up with a Plan B that should work well.

What you describe is definitely an aftermarket installation that was on your car. You can put the snaps in the lower windshield molding, which I did with mine. Your upholsterer may have a way to do it, but I may not be factory correct. If you don't care then no problem. I just wanted to point that out. Regards,

• 2 weeks later...