Emergency Brake Cables on Calipers

Guest 89 Maui

Guest 89 Maui

Upon swapping my rear '89 calipers onto my '90 replacement rear suspension, I had to disconnect the emergency brake cable from the '89 caliper and inorder to disconnect I had to remove the large spring, when spring is removed the brake cable is held in place by a retainer. This retainer must be destroyed inorder to release the the emergency brake cable from the caliper. Looked in FSM but does not spell out if the retainer is part of the emergency brake cable or as a separate part. Does anyone have a GM part number for this retainer?

Thanx

If yo are carefull the retainer can be reused with no issues. I have done it several times with success. If yoiu breake it I would not know where to start other than the dealer, good news for you they were used on many modles, but I will bet you have to get the full cable fo the clip.

Guest 89 Maui

Daniel -

I now agree that the retainer was a integral part of the emerg brake cable assy when manufactured. Ronnie had an excellent idea of using a "C" clip and utilizing spacer washers to take up the slack. I bought 3/8" "C" clips and 12mm flat washers (would have preferred 11mm but not found), assembled and the emerg brake cable is held in place quite firmly. There is not any return force from the emerg brake cable so the "C" clip is doing the job.

• 1 year later...

I would like to use the washers and "C" clip method described to eliminate the extra slack in my emergency brake cable too on my 1990 Reatta. The turnbuckle is adjusted all the way and the cable still sags. I can't quite picture where this is done, and what it looks like. If someone could provide a diagram or picture, it would sure help. Thanks!