Connie B pillar Bases

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

I'm in the process of replacing the floors in my '47 LCC. I'd like to remove the two baseplates that tie the B pillars to the floor and lay the new tin flat, rather than notching and fitting. I think they're aluminum, are held to the floor by five large slotted screws and insert into the pillar itself. Does anyone know how far up into the pillar they go? I really don't want to remove any tin from the sides to get them out, but it looks like they are nearly a foot tall and won't slide out once all the hardware is pulled.

Anyone remove these cleanly before?

There was a pretty extensive article written about this in detail in the Lincoln Continental Owners Club magazine years ago. If memory serves me correctly, you melt the lead out of the inside edge of the piller and you will find screws holding it in place. Remove these screws however possible ( in the article they were drilled out) and the parts can then be pried out. Not an easy job in any event.

On my car I took the bolts out of the top aluminum piece that went down through the outrigger on the frame. Then while making the floorboards, I depressed the area where that "foot" was to go. Then it was tap tap, wiggle wiggle and say a whole lot of words my mother would never approve of to get everything into place. Then drill four holes down throught the new sheet metal and bolt it all back into place. Lots simpler.

Tom

Guest zazothex

Thanks Tom. I got the bolts out after a LOT of difficulty. There are three pillar screws, the bottom of which on each side needed to be drilled out. I also had to drill out a few of the floor screws as well. The base seems loose, but I think it put into the pillar before it was boxed in, so to pull it out I need to remove the inner side of the pillar itself. I like your I idea and just wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. I needed some quality time practicing my swearing anyway.