Clutch Linkage Problems

Hi All, here is my problem. I have a 1948 Chrysler Coupe, that came eqipped with a fluid drive set-up. I now have a regular clutch and 3 spd standard trans. The clutch linkage has always been quite stiff, and the pedal travel wasn't very good. Upon inspection, I discovered the over center spring was backwards. I corrected this and now i can't adjust the pedal rod with the turnbuckle or the throw-out fork rod . Would these rods be longer as they were meant for a fluid dirve and clutch which is a longer unit to begin with. Any advice or ideas welcomed. I was thinking of shortening these rods, but would like feedback first.Thanx Fred

Guest DougD

According to the Chrysler Parts List, the turnbuckle rods are the same with or without Fluid Drive. The Clutch Release Fork Rod has different part number (871 977) for Fluid Drive cars than the rod for cars without Fluid Drive (952 295).

Thanks Doug, it does seem that the release rod is longer than it should be, maybe I can mod this down to size bu cutting it and adding more threads, or if I could find the right part all the better, I wonder if the Dodge D24 or Plymouth P15 release rod were the same. As I am sure Chrysler did not equip too many cars in 1948 without fluid drive. I do own a parts car with a fluid drive and M5 Clunkomatic, but I am reluctant to install these in my car, as I don't know there condition and I like the simplicity of standard trans and clutch, and the get up and go is much better than with the fluid drive, what do you think...........Fred