1968 Buick Riviera Project

Guest BJM

Since I learned how to do an attachment I'll try to post both of my Buick projects here and tell a little bit about my history with Buicks. It is boring so read at your own pace and it never helps to have a libation next to the computer.

The attachment is of my 68 Buick Riviera. It was purchased a year ago from a post off Buy/Sell. I like to purchase cars that are down and out because I think there are too many staying that way while the yuppies buy restored cars. Also I tend to purchase non-popular cars. Not that Rivieras are not collected, but in my age bracket, muscle cars and Corvettes are the 1st choice.

I will drive this car as my daily driver some day. I would say about 5 years from now. It is a fully developed project/restification, not to be a show car. The car came from New Mexico and is rust free. It has (had) 86,600 miles on it. It came with no motor or transmission. I bought a rebuildable 430 from a BCA member in Minnesota.

It was originally a light blue with a medium blue interior. It is a bucket seat console car. (Requirement) I am loading it out but it is pretty much loaded as is. Power antenna, power bucket seat, power windows, factory cruise control and to that I am adding power rear defroster, power trunk release.

My approach to this car is to re-engineer and restore each component from the groud up. For instance, I just purchased a 3.07 positraction rear axle to replace the open axle. To get great launch from stops I am installing a 2.75 1st gear in the TH400 (which also has a increased 2nd gear) in replacement of the stock 2.45 in effect getting a 3.37 rear axle posi but then having a reasonable cruising speed for better fuel mileage.

The steel driveshaft is being replaced with a balanced aluminum one, which increases delivered horsepower to the rear axle. The balance of the suspension will be rebuilt with premium components. I will try to add a rear stabilizer bar, purchase GS rate coil springs from Eaton, and gas charged shocks. Through a slightly lower profile tire, I will lower the Riviera (but not much)

Weight savings will be a big issue as I intend to trim 300-400 pounds off the stock weight. This will mostly be accomplished through aluminum replacements for steel parts, such as the radiator, engine heads and intake manifold.

The engine will remain the 430 but will be balanced and blueprinted, treated to components purchased through TA Performance and tuned/matched to deliver a legitimate 500 horsepower of smooth Buick power. This includes a camshaft upgrade, their single plane intake manifold, headers, and Flowmasters. The twin mufflers will be at the back of the car.

The goal is to build a Lexus quality tour car with incredible launch and driven speed, super smooth drive and every conceivable luxury component and to wrap it in a body that I like and is stock in appearance. To that end, the bare body will be reassembled with a lot of noise reduction wrap from Eastwood (hence the Flowmasters at the REAR) so that the cabin is as quiet as possible. The interior is decent for an Arizona car. A new dash pad has been purchased, the front seats will be reupholstered in matching blue leather. The back seat is fine. The sound system will feature "at least" 6 speakers and be harmoniously integrated into the interior door panels.

The Riviera still has real wood inserts in 68 so the veneers will be replaced with probably a more exotic wood. New carpet and resewn original headliner with that sound deadening mat above and under completes the interior.

No final decision has been made on body color but I am leaning toward a dark almost black BLUE to go with the acceptable medium blue interior. I live 28 miles from work on mostly interstate and highway. Currently I am driving a beater 89 Mazda 626 (my ears ring when I get out at work I think) so now you know the reason for me wanting a QUIET interior when not running a CD through my 6 speakers.

As mentioned, all this will be visually stock from the exterior and really even the interior unless you check close. The engine will still be red (except for aluminum components) and I plan to restore to factory specs where applicable. I hope to buy other Rivieras in the future and do stock restorations.

I will introduce my other current Buick in another post. Thanks for reading and WOULDN'T YOU REALLY RATHER BUY A BUICK!

Jake

post-43249-14313788866_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

Jake,

that sounds like a great project!! and sounds like you have your goals and objectives established and have begun collecting the parts to bring it all together.

Look forward to following the project.Thanks for sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Went to get the 3.07 posi rear axle in Wisconsin last weekend. The seller and I convinced the whole axle to reside in the back of my 626 hatchback to get it home to Iowa. The seller would not remove just the posi unit so I had to buy the entire thing. It was not well situated in the Mazda. Everytime I took a corner it would flop one way then Kla Bam!!! it would settle back to the resting position.

Once home I used my engine hoist to extract and placed it on concrete blocks. I tried to get a couple of the bolts holding the radius rods(?) off without success using air power no less.

As an owner of a similar car that runs fine now and looks good, I will be tracking the progress closely, as I periodically think about making some mods and improve performance. However, at my age and limited driving, it does just fine in stock condition. But your actions may tempt me.

John