Air Filter

Guest friscozephyr

Guest friscozephyr

Can anyone give me any advice on where to locate an air filter for a 1939 LZ V12. I have the non-oil bath type. I heard that the Ford flat head V8s used the same filter. Another option would be to use a modern filter that would would be the same size. Although I am trying the keep the V12 as authentic looking possible. Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

I just bought an air filter element for my 40 Zephyr from Mac's Antique Auto Parts. I'm not sure if it fits or not because I haven't had a chance to put it on the car but it looks like it is correct. I bought the following: 78-9600-CK Carburetor Air Cleaner Element COPPER MESH AS ORIG/OUTER RETAINER V8. Someone else may want to weigh in as to whether this is correct. It was listed for Ford V'8's from 1937-41. Here is their contact info:

Mac's Antique Auto Parts

Your one stop source for Ford parts from 1909-70's

PO Box 238

Lockport, NY 14095

www.macsautoparts.com

Phone 800-777-0948 or 716-433-1500

Fax 716-433-1172

Guest friscozephyr

Thanks for the info. I am checking with the local vintage Ford parts stores. If nothing pans out locally I'll try the vendor you suggested. Please let me know how your air filter element works on your 40 LZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I messed up because the element is too small to fit the Zephyr. I guess I should have figured that out and most likely someone out there probably knew that. Live and learn I guess. It's hard to tell exactly what size the original one I have is because it is old and I think it may be someone's homemade replacement from years ago. The current one measures aroud 7-1/2" in diameter (it's hard to tell because it is out of round) and it is not quite two inches tall although I think it has been compressed over the years. I'll keep looking and if anyone knows of a supplier, send me their name. By the way, I have a brand new filter for an older Ford V-8 if anyone wants to purchase it cheap. The bag it came in is opened but other than that it is brand new.