51 Chrysler hard starting *DELETED*

Guest bargersfoot

Guest jimstulga

Hi,

I'm not much of a mechanic, but did have what sounds like a similar problem with my '39 Studebaker. I fixed it after some guidance. The trouble was in the manifold regulator that directs the heated exhaust fumes up to the carburetor when first started. A thermostatical spring is what controls it and redirects those fumes after the car is properly warmed up to bypass the carb. Could yours be frozen like mine was? Mine is located under the carburetor and on top of the manifold. You should be able to freely move it back and forth when the car is cold. After it was fixed, I could start my car and drive within moments. Good luck. Jim Stulga

Guest bargersfoot

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. Actually, I replaced the manifold heat regulator a couple of years ago and keep it lubricated. The engine "fires" pretty well, but runs very rough at first. Gray exhaust as though the car is running too rich. After a few minutes of warm-up, engine idles fine and exhaust is clear.

bargersfoot....There are only three systems that need to function to start an engine; spark, gas, and compression. The spark consists of timing, point gap, condition of points, and spark plug gap. Gas is very simple in that all you need is gas and air in the proper mixture. Compression requires the valves to seal properly and open and close at the correct time. I would check your compression and whether your points are burnt or pitted.

Guest bargersfoot

Thanks for the suggestion. I have adjusted the spring in the auto choke and it seems to be starting fine again. Points are fine. However, I think I will give the valves a check in the spring.